Schoolies!

What a crazy week it has been.
I'm in bali on schoolies and so far, only half way through the trip, I've been snorkelling, bitten and humped by monkeys, rhohypnoled, brought a random boy home, ridden a motorbike, gone to a foam party and lost $70, almost bought a $30 pair of thongs because I got confused about money, had the most amazing food, gotten drunk most nights for less than ten dollars and swam in the pool because the temp has never dropped below 25 degrees.
It has been intense.
Although it has been amazing, it has come with some awful experiences too.
Firstly, I have pretty much drenched all my clothes in sweat. Been asked to sell my passport at least 4 times and been called a lobster at least 3. Oh, and slip something in about having my drink spiked in there.
But they're only bad things that affect me.

When you are in such a poverty stricken country, you cannot help but see the negatives about such an amazing place. I do exaggerate very much when I suggest it is amazing, but because I'm on schoolies, it's pretty good.
Whether it be a put on face when you reject someone regarding entering their store or turning down a little boy whose trying to sell you a bracelet for 20 000 rupiah ($2), the face of disappointment hits you pretty hard.
I don't really know what to say. Words don't really describe it and mainly it's hard to talk about because I cannot relate. Of course I've been hit by poverty. I lived in housing commission for a while but I have never experienced this type of poverty before so it seems to put my life into perspective.
There are teenage boys and men slaving away in the 33 degree heat digging holes and climbing unsafe construction sites to earn barely any money at all.
There are woman begging on the street for a dollar which to me, seems like pocket change. There are taxi drivers making 5 dollars of a 30 minute trip and there are chefs earning 5 dollars for a 3 course meal.
I went to vietnam in 2008 and I was perhaps too young to grasp an understanding of how bad people live. And despite all that, they tend to wear a smile on their face and live their life. I have a fear of living on anything less than an 80 000 a year salary. These people live on about 3-4000 a year which is just astonishing.

So I guess the way the saying goes, you win some you lose some. I have won a lot. I have gained a better understanding of what poverty and heartache is and I have seen what devastation people are living in. I have gone out, gotten drunk, kissed a few Boiz on da lipz and been drugged by a local. I have been climbed on, bitten and humped by monkeys. I have swam with many tropical fish and I have zoomed around on a scooter. I have swam around in a huge pit of foam with a few dozen hot topless boys and I have partied nights away.
You can have the schoolies experience and the cultural experience.
This place is actually amazing!