passing smiles or friends for life.

I have alot going on in my life right now and it finally all hit me tonight. So I decided to drive to the tallest hill in Albury, where you can see the entire town and just cry. As I looked over this place I now call my home, after every tear that I shed and the brief moments of clear vision I had, it dawned on me that none of the people in the cars going by or in the houses whose lights created patterns on the ground, know the pain I'm going through nor do I know theirs.

We live in a crazy world where everybody goes about their day, passing hundreds of people that they've never seen before and probably will never see again. A world so vast and populated, yet so small and tight knit. We go through our days bumping into people, throwing around 'excuse mes' and 'sorry's' and exchanges of small smiles out of politeness, only to be going home to the same person, texting the same people and sharing our lives with that comparatively minute group of people we call our friends and family.  

So as I looked out over the people who I already have something in common with, my home, I was stuck wondering if maybe I have more in common with them. If we actually felt the same pain, found joy in the same thing and were somehow connected. I was also left considering even smaller details, like if we were from the same place, studied the same course, liked the same music. If we would be bestfriends if we ever met, if we would be lovers. 

The thing that scares me the most about this world, is that somewhere out there in this 7 billion strong place we call earht, there'd be that perfect group of friends, the perfect boyfriend, the perfect colleagues. Yet, I will never meet them. I won't be able to share my pain with them and heal together and love together. 

So as each person pulled into their driveway or switched off their lights ending their day, I was left to hope that maybe we'll meet another time and not just share a passing 'excuse me' or polite smile. We'll meet properly and actually learn if we share the same pain that was the reason I was sitting there watching them through tear-blurred vision.